Saturday, July 23, 2011

Dragonflies vs. Damselflies

When I was a kid, one of the fun things that I remember is watching dragonflies around the various ponds of water in the countryside where I grew up.  I always believed (incorrectly!) that dragonflies were boys and damselflies were girls.  Not true!  I took these photos on a recent trip back to Bethel Township in Ohio, so that my daughter Katherine could learn the difference and easily identify a dragonfly versus a damselfly.

Both belong to the Order Odonata.  But from there, the folks responsible for identifying the animal and insect kingdom around us further define Odonates into 3 major subgroups.  Zygoptera (damselflies), Anisoptera (dragonflies) and lastly a subgroup that claims only a few species that have the characteristics of both, aptly named Anisozygoptera.

All Odonates have membranous wings, small antennae, slender bodies, and big eyes.

Here is a damselfly..............You can click on these photos to see them in a larger format.


Note that the eyes are big, but set far apart on the head.  The wings are quite ethereal, but tucked over the body while at rest.  Also, you can't tell from this photo, but the wings are all of a uniform size and shape.

Here is a dragonfly..............



The eyes are also big, but set close together almost touching.  The body is slender but yet stockier than the damselfly.  The biggest difference is the wings.  They are forward facing while at rest and are not uniform in size.

Here is a dragonfly image that I took at my brother's pond that shows the size difference of the wings of a dragonfly.............



Notice how the upper wings are decidedly smaller?  Dragonflly! 

Can you identify the following Odonates by their proper sub-orders?



Dragonflly or Damselfly?



Dragonflly or Damselfly?



Dragonflly or Damselfly?


Dragonflly or Damselfly?


Dragonflly or Damselfly?


How did you do?  Were you able to easily identify the differences?  Leave a comment, if you want me to send you the answers.

I'll leave you with a poem, celebrating both...........by Gail Lawson White

The Dragonfly and the Damselfly

Oh Damselfly!  Oh Damselfly!
Across the pond I've viewed you with watchful eye,
Upon delicate wings fluttering, carried by gentle breeze,
To light upon wild flower's bloom with ease.

Oh Dragonfly!  Oh Dragonfly!
I too have watched you fly.
So efficient your wings, working freely of one another.
So strong and agile, above the pond you dare to hover.

But Damselfly, oh Damselfly,
Far too shy was I
To speak the words within my heart to your beauty fair
That you may find me too forward and from the pond side scare.

Oh Dragonfly, my Dragonfly,
There is no need to be so shy,
For long your flight have I so admired
And long dreamt your fondness be acquired.

Oh Damselfly!  Oh Damselfly!
If you please, away with me come fly
To share what's left of Summertide
That you might be my damsel bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Break on the Island

This year has been a horrible winter.  So the Prides just had to get away to someplace WARM! And nothing is better than Hilton Head Isl...