Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Day Spent Junking

There is nothing better on a cold, blustery, freezing cold day than to spend it indoors at a giant garage sale.  Today at the Indianapolis Fairgrounds was just such a garage sale.  Paul, Katie and I were joined by my friend Christy, who had alerted us to the garage sale earlier this week.

Christy and I both found a number of trinkets for our myriad of art projects and quite a catch of vintage hats.  Katie found a variety of toys, including an iDog that she is quite enamored of this evening as well as a moving dinosaur.

Here are some of my finds from today:



A vintage yellow floral hat.  Nothing says "I'm dreaming of spring" quite like a bright yellow hat.  A mere $2 at the garage sale.  So I purchased a pair of zebra striped, cat eye shaped glasses to go with it for a buck.  The glasses are non-prescription so anyone can wear them.  The black and white go nicely with the yellow.  Reminds me alot of this hat of my Great Aunt Annette.



I wish that hats were worn more regularly like they used to be.  That's my step Grandma Martha and my younger sister, Nikki in this photo.  Can't tell if the man is Grandpa Goodman or Great Uncle Arthur.



A piece of old lace.............



Another piece of old lace.............



Yet More Old Lace............



Do you get the idea that I bought a big wad of old lace?  I did.  For $2!!!  Heaven!!



Another vintage hat in shades of ivory and taupe.  Alot of fun for just $3.




This quick snapshot doesn't do this guy justice.  A beautiful little rhinestone heart pin.  A steal at $2.


No, the color in this photo is not oversaturated.  It really is bright magenta.  This is one of the 8 hats that Christy and I purchased from one lady.  We each bought 4 for $10.



This is one of the four hats that I purchased from one vendor.  Pale pink flowers and delicate netting cover the entire  hat.  Really precious.  The other two hats are ivory and navy.  Nothing fancy, but each a good base for adding embellishments to at a later date.



A vintage 1950's style brooch with a pink pearl center.  Really cute.  Especially for $1.



Aqua earrings in a style that nearly everyone's Grandma once wore.  $2.  I have to admit, I'm generally not much for the color blue, but lately I've been leaning to teals, aquas and robin egg blue.



Funky earrings, also $2, in my birthstone, topaz.



My favorite find of the day.  A vintage fur hat.  Mink?  Sable?  I dunno.  But the hat is in mint condition and has a beautiful lining inside to boot.  At $10, it was my biggest purchase of the day.  A great addition to my burgeoning hat collection.  Wearing it makes me feel a bit like Julie Christy in Dr. Zhivago..............

1 comment:

Spring Break on the Island

This year has been a horrible winter.  So the Prides just had to get away to someplace WARM! And nothing is better than Hilton Head Isl...